Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Discover Lewiston, Michigan: How one little town turned this city girl into an outdoor enthusiast


Seven years ago I left Grand Rapids to visit my father in Lewiston, Michigan for what was supposed to be a short summer visit.  I packed up a few bags and made the three and a half hour trip to a place that seemed to more closely resemble an outpost than a town.  Lewiston’s rugged history as a lumber town is still very evident in its distinctive character. 
Yet it didn’t take long to discover what residents and visitors already knew.  Revered for its abundance of lakes, championship golf, hiking, snowmobiling, cross country skiing, close proximity to world-renowned trout fishing and so much more, this little gem of a town just might be one of northern Michigan’s best kept secrets. 
My “summer getaway” ultimately changed the entire direction of my life. By the end of September, I couldn’t bring myself to leave this magnificent place. So I did what any girl in my position would do – I sent for my dog and my things and never looked back.   
What this quaint town, located just 32 miles southeast of Gaylord, lacks in size, it certainly makes up for in recreational activities.  Sure, there may be under a 1,000 year-round residents (this quickly changes to about 10,000 in the summer months), but you won’t hear anyone around here complaining about that.  After all, visitors and residents alike come to Lewiston to get away from the crowds and chaos of the bigger cities.  Lewiston is a place where people come to spread out, kick back, and submerse themselves in the outdoors.  And it doesn’t take too much searching to find activities that allow you to do just that.
With a plethora of year-round  hobbies to choose from, Lewiston, Michigan really is an outdoorsman’s dream.  Interested in learning more about what Lewiston has to offer?  Come check us out.  To view all of my current listings in Lewiston, click here.

Here's a quick glimpse of one fantastic lake-front property that is currently for sale on Tee Lake in Lewiston, Michigan.

To learn more, contact Gina Render at (989) 390-3940 or gina@homewaters.net.

No comments: