Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Camping Season is Upon Us


As spring arrives in Northern Michigan, one of my favorite sights to see is the campers coming out of storage. Seems many of my neighbors in Leelanau County love to camp as much as I do! I grew up camping with my family in tents, campers and hike- in cabins. The joy of camping still hits me every time we load up and head out. I love the camping life; the only thing that needs to be done is to have fun. Dishes can wait, grilling is king and campfires are mesmerizing. Not to mention the marshmallows.
Leelanau County has a variety of campgrounds to suite every camper. Some of the best rustic hike in tent camping can be done on the Manitou Islands. These islands are accessible only by ferry boat out of Leland. If you like the campground setting, but would like to “rough it” then perhaps the D.H. Day Campground in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore or Leelanau State Park at the tip of the peninsula would be the best options. For those campers who like to have full hookups and amenities while camping, my personal favorite in Leelanau County is Leelanau RV Park in Lake Leelanau. The campground is the cleanest I have ever seen, and is right on beautiful Lake Leelanau. Fun activities throughout the summer allow for even more fun for the kids. Leelanau Pines is another campground with Lake Leelanau frontage some sites have full hookup options.
With so many camping options in Leelanau County available, everyone can find what they are looking for in a camping experience. While you are here, check out all Leelanau County has to offer – water, woods, wine, culture, and more water!

No comments: