Monday, February 8, 2010

Cabin Fever!

It usually hits me about the same time every winter - that dreaded "Cabin Fever". I really enjoy being outside and am always looking for opportunities to be outside but winter offers challenges. However, if I am ever feeling punchy inside I just take a short road trip to Seven Bridges on Valley Road between Kalkaska and Rapid City.

Seven Bridges is a 285 acre property owned by the Grand Traverse Regional Land Conservancy and managed by the State of Michigan. It has the most unique hiking trail I have ever seen in our area in that it crosses the Rapid River 7 times over bridges built to enhance the trail system. The Rapid River this past week-end was living up to its name and was an awesome sight plus the only sound you hear is the flowing of the water - Wow. As I hiked and watched the river I was reminded why the heavy snow falls and rain in Northern Michigan are so important to the whole eco system. The Rapid River and its clean water are flowing directly into the Chain of Lakes system which ultimately flow to Lake Michgan. We are so blessed with clean clear water in Northern Michigan.

I hiked both Saturday and Sunday in the sun and saw a couple of deer - great family activity if you are ever in this area.

1 comment:

homewaterschad said...

This is one of those amazing hidden places that few people know of. A great spot to get away from it all and enjoy some true peace and quiet....except for that gorgeous sound of rolling waters!!!