Thursday, November 7, 2013

Homewaters is Going Vintage

For some reason I always get very nostalgic as hunting camp approaches.  November 15th marks the first day of the Michigan rifle deer season and since I was a kid it was a very big event. Even before I could hunt, we were asked to gather all the apples that had fallen from the trees in our our yard so my dad could bring them up to camp to lure in the big buck.  While he never did come home with a deer, he always brought some sort of little toy or something. I could not wait until I got to go myself!  Those first number of years were all about trying to back a buck.  I played cards and had a lot of fun catching up with family I didn't get to see very often but it was the hunt that really got me going.  A little older and wiser now, I still look forward to opening day and am hopeful I get an opportunity to harvest a deer, but it's much more about the experience of camp.  Cutting wood for the stove, putting up new stands or repairing old ones, playing cards with three generations of family members and the big hearty meals that only deer camp seems to produce.  I don't think I eat pickled bologna or creamed herring any other time of year but it sure tastes right sitting at the Rittenhouse card table next to the wood stove!  In honor of this long standing tradition in my family and many others in Michigan, we're going vintage on the front page leading up to camp next week.  Enjoy a safe and fun hunting camp with your family and friends next week and good luck in the big woods!!!


No comments: