Thursday, March 21, 2013

Top 5 Trails for Snow or Sun Near Lewiston, Michigan


 
I’ve grown accustomed to the quizzical looks that I receive the first time I tell someone where I live.  I politely smile and do what any good Michigander would do.  I point to my hand and identify a spot just a little to the right of the center. Near the top, of course – this is northern Michigan after all. 
And then comes the second question… “What is there to do?” 
Glad you asked (This is where I shine).  I like to play host and give them a list of all the outdoor activities that I’ve been introduced to since living in Lewiston. 
Growing up in the Detroit area, and spending years in Grand Rapids, I always thought that my life was full.  Until I came to northern Michigan, that is.  Sure, I’ve enjoyed my share of museums, still love a great concert, am always eager to try new restaurants, and love a good pub crawl like the next girl.  But until you’ve trail ran with the mutts through a patch of wintergreen as the sun rises, paddle boarded the AuSable (not to mention the world class fly fishing), explored a new lake by kayak, and ended your day water skiing as the sun sets, you’re definitely missing out.  And we’ve been known to do that on any given Sunday in the summer months.
So, how can you get in on the action?  Here’s a few of my favorite spots for trail running/hiking in the summer or cross country skiing in the winter – all located within a half hour or so of Lewiston, Michigan.
1.       Buttles Trail – located just four miles North of Lewiston, this one is a personal favorite.  Summer months are great because you get to run (or hike) through a variety of settings and even go past a lake, which my labs thoroughly appreciate.  This is also a neat trail because it’s a 6 (ish) mile loop, with the choice of doing a 3 mile loop or 2 mile loop instead – perfect for logging higher miles if you’re training for a race.
The trail really shines in the winter months as a cross country ski trail.  Local volunteers often work together to keep this trail groomed, which makes it a beautiful (and convenient) trail for visitors and residents alike.
Learn more
2.        Shingle Mill Pathway – It’s been a few years since I’ve hiked this trail but I’m looking forward to running it this summer.  Also known for great mountain biking, this trail is simply beautiful, with some of the most pristine, hidden lakes I’ve encountered on any trail in northern Michigan.  Just eleven miles east of Vanderbilt off Sturgeon Valley Rd., this trail is in the Mackinaw State Forest.  It’s also in the heart of Elk Country – the largest population of elk East of the Mississippi River and home of Michigan’s only elk population.  It can be 6 miler, as well as 10 or 11 mile – depending on your preference. 

Here’s a neat article about the trail.

3.       Aspen Park – This is a great option located in Gaylord.  100 acres of great running trails, mountain biking, and fantastic options for cross-country skiing.  Enjoy paved or unpaved trails!   
 
Learn more.

4.       Mason Tract Pathway – This 9.6 mile beauty winds along the Mason Tract of the AuSable River.  My husband and I skied this trail over the course of this winter with friends and had a blast.  Lots of hills, which were the perfect challenge for this newbie skier – nothing too daunting, don’t worry.  My group only made it half way through the trail, as we were fully cognizant of the fact that it was an out and back trail.  For those up to the challenge of skiing the full tract (completely ungroomed), it would probably serve you well to drop a car at the end of the trail. 
      Learn more.
5.       Hanson Hills – Okay, in full disclosure I haven’t really been to this one.  Bu from what I’ve been told, I would be doing you a disservice not to include it in my list.  There are miles of groomed options and even night skiing. 
      Learn more.

Needless to say, this list is not all inclusive and there’s always more to explore near Lewiston!  If you have a suggestion or another gem to add, let’s hear it!!
For more information on real estate opportunities in Northeast Michigan, contact Gina Render at gina@homewaters.net.  You can also view my listings here.
 

No comments: