Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Need a Diversion?

di·ver·sion

Noun
    1.    An instance of turning something aside from its course.
    2.    An activity that diverts the mind from tedious or serious concerns; a recreation or pastime.


Synonyms
amusement, pastime, distraction, recreation, entertainment


I wasn't looking for a diversion. It just happened. It was almost lunchtime and I needed to take care of a couple of items before a scheduled conference call at 2:30. First, to deliver documents relative to a recent closed transaction on the North Branch Au Sable. (hooray!) The second, to purchase the required trash bags from Waste Management for trash pickup the next day. (urgent!)

On my way, I thought I would make a quick trip to Downtown  Traverse City to the Camera Shop. (what the heck, just a few minutes away) I had been researching 500mm lenses on the internet (diversion in itself) and thought, what better than to just go touch one and test drive it? Like always, my camera was with me and putting one of those big boys on sounded like fun. A young guy, Miles, was really accommodating and we went out on the street with the Canon (and it was big as one too!) Anyways, took a bunch of shots and then downloaded them on the shop computer to check out the quality of the lens. After a lot of chit chat and helpful advice, I managed to get going. (almost left without my camera's memory disk and my driver's license) On the way to the car, I noticed that Argo was playing at the State Theatre. (I better go check showtimes while I'm here) After mulling around under the marquis on Front St., I decided to check in at the offices of Home Waters Recreational Real Estate. (what the heck...its just across the street) While I'm there, I get a message that my conference call needs to be rescheduled. Hop in the car and make a call to rearrange. We decide to do it as I'm driving. Fifteen minutes later, call complete and I'm back at my home office. As I sit down at my computer, I realize...I forgot the garbage bags!

Do you need a diversion? Is there a pastime, recreational hobby or a passion that you like to partake in? Need a break from the serious routine of life? Something that takes you to sunsets on a lake, wading in a trout stream or hiking through tall pines? Take a break and call me...




No comments: