Sunday, September 23, 2012

Exploring the Au Sable



I've been spending a lot of time over in Mio and Luzerne lately, showing river properties on the Au Sable and Big Creek. The other day I had some time to kill between appointments so I decided to do a little sight seeing and scout the Trophy Water below Mio.

After a short visit to McDonalds to take advantage of some free WiFi to catch up on email, I headed off to the eastern regional USDA Forest Service Center for the Huron-Manistee National Forest. The center is fairly new and relocated from its old digs in downtown Mio. Located north of town and out east on McKinley Rd., the center is the gateway to the national forest along the banks of the big waters of the Au Sable river east of Mio. As I approached the large building I was surprised to find the interior somewhat confined to a small lobby and service counter dedicated to pubic use. None the less, there was ample information in the way of brochures, maps and a variety of literature pertaining to the area attractions. While browsing the retail book selections and collecting a variety of resource materials, I overheard forest personnel answering questions and providing information to tourists about new trails and camping along the river. After resisting the temptation to buy a new nature book, I decided to head off downstream to check out my new found information.


Heading east along the north side of the river, I accessed a few sites that were in the process of being developed for camping and access to the river. Although it was a work day, and USDA trucks were in the vicinity, there were no signs that anyone was around. The fall winds whistled  through the tall pines and I felt that I had the whole river to myself. I spent the next hour just scouting water and day dreaming about bringing my two handed spey rod back the following week. This water was perfect for my 16' Sage and it had been some time since that rod had seen this water. But, that would have to wait. Time was growing short and I was off to Big Creek in Luzerne to show a large parcel with frontage on the creek just above the confluence to the mainstream of the Au Sable. If I'm lucky, I'll be back in Lovells before dark to enjoy a cocktail on the banks of the North Branch Au Sable.

I love exploring River Country! So much water...so little time!

No comments: