Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Great new restaurant in Northern Michigan

There's a little spot along M-72 between Grayling and Kalkaska that has been home to a number of restaurants over the years, but I think the newest owners are there to stay! At least I hope so. Shirley's "in the woods" Cafe just opened and I had a chance to stop in for lunch on my way back from Grayling. This is Shirley's second restaurant after seeing great success in their Mancelona location. They've done a terrific job creating a homey atmosphere that immediately lightens the mood. I'm a believer that you can gauge any diner by the Reuben they serve. If that's true, Shirley's is among the best diners I've ever eaten at. Homemade rye bread and even corned beef prepared on site made for an incredible sandwich. Shirley herself wandered through with some samples of other homemade breads and made sure my stay was a warm one. Welcome to the neighborhood, Shirley! If you're in the area on vacation or making your way through, make time for a stop and I think you'll end up finding a new favorite spot in Northern Michigan. click the photo for a recent interview with Shirley done by Traverse Magazine that will give you some insight into the gal who is the heart and soul of the restaurant.

No comments: